Thursday, January 19, 2012

Your Quidditch Team!

Hello Everyone! Silverwing26 AKA Crystal, here with a more in depth look at your Quidditch team. As you may remember I am playing the position of Keeper this year, as well as reporting about Quidditch for our blog. I asked each of my fellow teammates to tell me a bit about themselves, why they love Quidditch and what made them absolutely want to be on our team this year as we soar to victory!!

Leading us out onto the pitch (and onto VICTORY) is our Captain OneNeedleKnitting. 1NK (for short) tells us...

"I’m Sam, I live in Chicago, I work in a library (one of the biggest libraries in the US, actually. Actually, the 13th largest, according to the ALA itself. Which I just learned today!) and I’m studying translation with the intention of being a freelance translator (French > English)."


"I volunteered for Quidditch at the beginning of my second term because no one else had volunteered and Isis put out a second call. I hadn’t been selected for staff and I really wanted to get involved, so I jumped on the opportunity. I haven’t relinquished the position since and you’ll have to wrest it from my cold, lifeless hands." (That is exactly what we love about you Captain!)

And as to what she LOVES about Quidditch??

"Quidditch is awesome because it changes every term and it frequently affords opportunities for projects that can’t be turned in for classes. Examples: charity knitting! Not as an option for every class, but as a distinct category given its own recognition. Plus there’s always a mix of short activities and longer ones, so that people who excel at making 17 hats in two hours and people who will knit an entire sweater in a term can both get recognition."



Our Beaters are FatesLady and MariaCrafts. First up to answer my questions is FatesLady and she is utterly brimming with excitement and Ravenclaw Pride!

"Hi! I’m FatesLady! I’m really competitive and I was a little bummed when Ravenclaw didn’t take the cup last year, but I can’t say I didn’t do my part!" (That's the spirit! We'll take it this term though!)

"Quidditch was a big part of that; it is so interesting and exciting as the theme and prompts change around every term. There’s always something new and fun to try, and you can almost feel the action of brooms through the sky as you ponder the next prompt and prepare to smash that quaffle and dodge the bludger! Am I getting too excited here?" (Not at all, we can see the action as you talk about it. Soar my teammate, Soar!)

"Well like I said, I am pretty competitive, and it excites me to no end that this year we’re making a push to Take Back the Cup! I wanted to be a bigger part of that, and to show a bit of my team pride, so I went out for a Beater position. I want to lead by example by turning in the max number of projects and encouraging my team. The theme is work Smarter, and there are so many small or quick projects that qualify.
I know not everyone can aim for 600 or more points a term, that is OKAY! But I think I can shoot for that number or maybe better this term, and I’m hoping to inspire, encourage, and excite some of my fellow ‘Claws." (I love your ambition! Whatever you do, do it spectacularly!)


"And anyway, as you can see… I’ve always been at home in the air! (Yes, those are hand knit socks. Special!)"

Next to me here I now have MariaCrafts. Maria is a long time student and knows the ins and outs of inter-house competition!


"Hi! I’m MariaCrafts, a beater on the Ravenclaw Quidditch Team. I’ve been playing in the Cup for almost 3 years now, and I can’t imagine what I would do if I didn’t have the Cup! In addition to being a beater, I also serve as the Interhouse Activities and Challenge Coordinator for the Tower. This means that I get to organize our in-house challenges, as well as our collaborations with other houses." (I don't know what I would do without the cup either!)


"I love participating in Quidditch! It’s always so much fun! The HPKCHC Quidditch Team comes up with some of the most innovative and interesting Quidditch terms. I began getting very involved in Quidditch in my 4th term, when we paired across houses with all members of our “year” for charity crafting. We had a great time meeting the 4th years from the other houses." (Crafting across houses has become your specialty now! That was a great Quidditch Term.)

"I like being part of the team for Ravenclaw because I like to spread my enthusiasm for Quidditch to the whole house. I like to get people involved in Quidditch that may not have been involved before, and I enjoy answering Quidditch questions and helping people find projects that fit the Quidditch prompts." (And you do it really well!)

"SOAR Ravenclaw! FOR LUNA!"


Bacskocky is soaring onto the pitch to join us now. She is our Seeker this year! Bacskocky is seriously into all aspects of crafting! She tells us a bit about herself...

"I am 27, have three sons (ages 7, 2, and 9months), and am married. I have been crocheting for about 2 years, and knitting regularly just since last term. When not doing professor work for History of Magic or teaching my own children, I am also working on my own business selling crafted items." (Sounds like a full plate. That is some serious awesome!)

"And I have serious craft ADD: I crochet, knit, dye, make jewelry, sew, and am learning to spin. I am working on classes this term, as well as an Order mission and an Arithmancy OWL. In case you’re wondering how I have time for all of this, I get minimal sleep due to issues with insomnia. I fill that time with crafting." (Way to put insomnia to work for you! I'll put you down as a go to girl for all general crafting questions. ;) )
 
"I can tell you that I chose to apply for Seeker last term because I wanted the chance to present all of the projects in a creative way. Then this term I decided to do it again! I enjoy seeing all of the projects and how other people interpret the prompts." (And we can't wait to see your presentation!)

Second to last there is Me! I'm your Keeper and Asst Captain this term. So a little bit about me...

"My name is Crystal and I'm married to an awesome man who dabbles in crochet. I was born and raised on Long Island in New York, but I moved to Florida Shortly after getting married and I've lived here almost 10 years now. "


"I was so happy to join the Quidditch team this year because it has become such an integral part of the game for me. I didn't understand how Quidditch worked my first couple of terms in the cup. Once I figured it out though, I have been a huge advocate for, and participant in quidditch since. "


"I love how it changes each term and that there is usually an option to catch all of those projects you can't figure out how to get into classes. I enjoy being part of the team and promoting the Quidditch aspect of the game, answering questions and helping make it accessable to everyone who plays. Let's bring that Quidditch cup home to our mantle, shall we?"


 "Do it For Luna and for Ravenclaw!"




Now you might have noticed that I said I was second to last. Well that is because all of the rest of you, my fellow Ravenclaws are in fact CHASERS this term! Huzzah!! Thank you for being an awesome part of our team. So, leave a comment and tell us all a little about yourself and what you love about Quidditch!




No comments:

Post a Comment