Sunday, January 8, 2012

For the Order!

While sitting by the lake, you notice a duck with a mustache raising his head out of the water. He looks around furtively before waddling over and delivering a scroll. You marvel for a second at his ability to keep the scroll dry while sitting in the lake for hours, then remember: MAGIC.


The duck looks remarkably like IAmACuttlefish's Merry Beast. "Egbert, is that you?" you ask.

::Y-- I mean, NO! Shhhhh...:: the duck quacks, looking reprovingly at you. He turns tail and glides smoothly back under the surface of the lake.

You chuckle and open the scroll to read the following message:

Greetings, fellow Ravenclaw,

I fear I must be brief as the Death Eaters are on my tail again. I thought I threw them off as I passed through Surrey, but I suppose not. Drat.

But on that note, are you bored? Falling asleep in your classes? Searching for a bit of excitement in your day? Have you always wanted to travel the world, do great deeds, and maybe even save the world? Fear not, dear student, for I may have a solution!

The Order of the Phoenix is looking for operatives to sign up and join in the fight against Death Eaters. It's a difficult task, fraught with danger at every turn, but I can guarantee that the results will be worth it.

You are under no obligation to do so, but if you choose to join the Order, follow this portkey by the 21st to a secure location where you may find more information about the tasks and contact the commander responsible for the division you would like to join. Without divulging too much, there are four divisions, each with two assignments to choose from. You may select whatever task you believe best fits your ability, but choose wisely, for you will be permitted to do only one this term.

 You may expect your task to take you 6-8 weeks, beginning on January 28th. While we do appreciate students zealously volunteering to do great deeds, please remember that due to the nature of these missions, assignments must be completed within 8 weeks, and you must not neglect your classes in the meantime.

I will be contacting you in the near future to call attention to your housemates' deeds of valor and bravery (who says Gryffindors have a monopoly on those traits?) and to provide inspiration if you have not yet chosen a task.

Until then, farewell, and good luck.

The note is unsigned, but there is a curious ink blot at the bottom in the shape of a cuttlefish.

1 comment: