
SLYTHERIN
Hello Again ‘Claws!
When I was coming back from the kitchens yesterday, I happened upon a couple of Slytherin first years who were heading back to their common room. For reasons I still can’t explain, my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided I would follow them.
After walking through a labyrinth of corridors we came upon a portrait of ‘Ethelred the Ever-Ready’. Of course since all passwords have been abolished to encourage house unity, the portrait simply looked them over to see if they were of good intent.
The portrait swung open to admit them and I followed close behind. The common room itself is a vast room, there is a kind of light which shines through the window which gives one the impression of being underwater. Of course as a fellow third year later explained to me, this was perfectly logical, as the room itself was situated under the lake. The settees and armchairs are all a vibrant green colour and there are various fireplaces dotted along the length, which makes the room surprisingly cosy. Over at one end is the fully stocked bar, which students can help themselves to. Just to the right of this is a door, when I enquired as to where it led, the 5th year gave a small smirk and said simply,
“That is where the Hotties are kep…I mean live.”
As I settled into one of the comfy seats, I managed to round up a few Slytherin’s who were more than happy to answer my questions.
I started with the First Years I had followed a small group of them were sat together busy with various Knitting and crochet projects.
1st Year: Could you explain how it works in your house after you’ve been sorted into Slytherin? I noticed you have nests, how do those work?
ChiaLynn: If the House Cup is the university, and each House occupies its own dormitory, the Nests are like individual halls within the dorm. Each one has a Big Snake (I think of her as my RA), a couple of Middle Snakes, and an assortment of students from firsties on up. They’re places you can go to ask questions without worrying that the whole entire House will think you’re stupid (which they wouldn’t, anyway - as one of my Middle Snakes, ElfLiberator says, “there are probably several other people wondering the same thing that you are.”). It also gives us firsties (and more experienced students, too) a built-in support network. My Big Snake, Sea-Jelly, sends occasional earburns to remind us that we’ve got deadlines coming up, or just to ask how we’re doing.
I’ve even gotten to meet one of my nest-mates in the wild - it turns out that Polcamilla lives just a few miles from me. (ETA: She describes the nests as sort of mentor-mentee groups, which definitely fits.)
1st Year: What made you want to be in Slytherin as an NQFY?
Rivetkitten: It’s BadAmy’s fault. We were at a barbecue, and she mentioned the HPKCHC, I mentioned being interested, and she started pitching Slytherin to me like a particularly charming Hottie dealer. And I mean, who could turn down the Hotties? (Or BadAmy, for that matter.)
Soon other Slytherin’s noticed what I was doing and came to join the knitting circle and answer my questions. Although I was pretty tempted to pull out my crochet and join in, instead, like the good reporter I am, I pulled out my parchment and quill and got down to business!
2nd Year: You’ve already done 1 term in Slytherin, could you tell us a highlight of your first year and any big plans for this one?
Joseybug: The highlight of my year was attaining Firstie Ultimate Quest (aka doing at least 18 classes, quidditch, HM Challenge and an OWL). I learned a lot and got much better at managing my knitting time and projects. Also - everyone’s enthusiasm, cheering and support made it so much fun, even if it was a lot of work.
This term, I’m planning on going for Ultimate Quest again, and am on the St. Mungo’s Express. I’m loving everyone’s excitement and enthusiasm this term!
Suddenly there was a timid knock on the door to the common room and a brave NQFY walked in, saw what we were doing, pulled out her knitting bag and sat down with us.
NQFY: As a NQFY I think that I would love to be sorted into Slytherin because….
raynebair: When I stepped into the dungeon there was so much excitement and so many things going on, it just seemed like a place where I could jump in and ride the high of being a Slytherin. The students are super nice and extremely welcoming. So much to do there and it’s never a dull moment. I didn’t feel like I’d be sitting on the sidelines looking in. There is just so much going on, it’s easy to jump right in and join the fun without feeling like an outsider!
Besides, I have 3 friends in RL in the cup and they are each in a different house. Joining Slytherin would definitely show we have House Unity whenever we get together for knit night. ;)
3rd Year: As a 3rd year, you already have some experience under your belt. What is the common room like in between terms, any exciting challenges go on etc?
Mariannewells: It was a between-term challenge in the cup that got me into the game in the first place - an April fools thread from Potions that just ran and ran. I tend to use the Dungeon rather than the common room but that certainly doesn’t stop between terms, the chatter, hotties and enablement just continues, with competitions as and when people feel like running them - girlywithatwist is very cool about encouraging everyone to try their own ideas out.
4th Year: Now your becoming old pros of Slytherin, have any of you started to take on a slightly more ‘prefect’ like role within the house? If so what? And what makes it so enjoyable for you?
jessajune: As a fourth year, I do try to use my experience to help out the firsties - especially with the creative endeavor of fitting projects you already wanted to make into the classes offered in a given term. That’s definitely an area where a bit of experience helps, and where the craftiness of a Slytherin is especially useful. It’s fun to see people realize that just about anything can be turned in with the right story - I think seeing what people come up with is one of the fun things about the Cup! I also try to be especially attentive to my nest - we all have snake nests this term regardless of how long we’ve been here, which I think is great. We’re so huuuuuge now, it’s nice to have a place you can go where there’s a smaller more approachable group for support & encouragement.
Although rubyyarn disagreed slightly!
rubyyarn: Well, I’m a 4th year, but in no way consider myself a ‘pro’. As for a leadership role, I’ve found I’m way too shy for that. I was Ambassador for the Third Years last term, then the Great Kerfluffle happened and many Snakes departed and many caught between loyalty to friends and loyalty to House. As a wise woman once said (well, sort of…) “fierce, fierce friends” have made the House Cup so enjoyable to me. I may volunteer for something somewhere along the line, but for now I’m in it for the fun :)
At this point a few of the upperclassman wondered over, and after offering me a drink from the bar and some yummy snacks, they sat down and joined in our circle. To my surprise I saw a very familiar face come join us…
5th Year: Best prank/ task/challenge you remember being created and masterminded by your house. (Ravenclaw’s had Alot bank Heist, sock monkey invasion of Gryffindor tower) Any Memorable tales?
dnatheory: I was kind of hoping someone else would step up and answer this (and I’m still hoping someone else will jump in!). I have an absolutely terrible memory, and I spent last term in Ravenclaw, so really nothing is springing to mind in response to this question.
So I’m gonna, um, answer a completely different one. The most fun, Slytheriny thing that I can think of was the invention of Doom Goat. Turpentinechai had been joking about turning the bar she runs into the Hog’s Head and getting a goat so she could emulate Aberforth Dumbledore. Somehow this led to a posting spree of goat pictures in the common room. And when I posted a few days (or weeks, I can’t remember) later that I hadn’t gotten into any graduate schools and needed a hug or a bucket of rocks orsomething, she posted a picture of a fiery scary demon-goat type thing, and told me Doom Goat (termcoined by seakame) was on my side. It was the most hilarious and warming Slytherin moment I can think of - it embodies our zany spirit and backwards way of helping each other out.
At that moment another 5th year rushed over giving an excited squeal and waving her half-finished class project about!
seakame: DOOM GOAT!!
As a fellow 5th year I have a small tale to share… During April 2010 (a break month) we all started chattering about having tea time together. When the new term started so did the “Tea Cozy Caffinated Cahoots”. We had a huge number of Slytherins making tea cozies, cup sleeves and bottle cozies, which were turned in to any class the cozy fit. It really was the start of our monthly house unity themes. Everyone was super enthusiastic and we had cozies that looked like animals, several with skulls on them, a couple of Dr. Who related ones and a very awesome pink pom-pom cozy made by Bidibid. We had fun, got to know each other more and made cozies!!
Another very familiar face gave a wave and I couldn’t help but smile!
6th Year: As a 6th Year, you have been playing along in the house cup for nearly 2 years of your life. How have you developed in your craft? Have you learnt any new skills? How has Slytherin helped you in this?
LNS: I have learned SO so much in the past 2 years (gosh, has it really been that long?)! There’s been lace, and colorwork, and socks. OMG I love handknit socks now (and so do all my assorted family members)! Oh, and I can’t forget the term that I knit a hammock. That was for DevonC’s Transfiguration class if I remember correctly. Man, this group has shaped my crafting abilities in every imaginable way! I don’t know what I would do without it (have less fun and make less stuff, that’s what)!
7th Year: Can you explain how you got all the Hotties?? How did they come about? And are there any other Slytherin traditions which you remember, which have faded out in recent years-if so, is this for better or worse?
HolyCuteness: Hehe! We actually started oogling them and

At that moment, a large pair of ornate doors, near to the enterance which I hadn’t noticed before opened. There was a rustle of the green velvet curtains been opened and descending down a grand staircase, out stepped GirlyWithATwist, Slytherin Head of House. The Slytherins in the common room all stood respectfully and I followed suit. She gave a nod and looked out across the common room, surveying her domain with proud yet somehow scheming eyes. Her gaze finally fell upon our now large knitting circle. Suddenly she rushed back up the stairs and into her office and living quarters. A couple of the older Slytherins gave each other a small smile.
Less than 20 seconds later, Girlywithatwist had returned, knitting in hand, run over to our group and said with a slightly goofy grin,
“Ooh! Visitors and a knitting circle! Fabulous! Mind if I join in?”
Quickly conjuring herself an extremely comfortable looking chair she settled down.
I gave a quick look around the common room and noticed that unlike the Ravenclaw Tower, there seemed to be a distinct lack of BA1’s around. I gave a slight puppy eyed look towards Girlywithatwist. Rolling her eyes at me with a small smile she relented and answered two questions for me.
BA1: Looking back to when you first started in the House Cup, what has changed? What do you enjoy most about the cup at this time, and indeed, what do you enjoy most about this house?
Where do I start? Back during the first term, there were only about 20 students per house. All of our names would fit at the top of the common room thread. I don’t even think we had Prefects back then. I do remember that we had to sign up for classes before we turned in a project and at least one student from each house had to take the class. That definitely changed as the house cup grew in numbers. I would say the one thing I enjoy most about the House Cup at this time is the unity between the houses. For example, the hat unity project that all houses are doing together this month. Ravenclaw started it and the other three houses joined in for support. The one thing I enjoy most about the House of Slytherin is the highly contagious enthusiasm that is running rampant in the dungeons.
HoH Question: As Head of House, I would describe Slytherin House, and the students within it as….
…completely and utterly crazy and fantastic. But crazy in a good way. We are cunning and clever. We are highly ambitious and enthusiastic. We are going to be a force to be dealt with this term.
A loud cheer went around the common room as Girlywithatwist finished her impassioned speech.
I gave a small smile and found myself joining in. Rolling my parchment back up and putting it into my bag, I made to leave, when suddenly there were sounds of protest from all around!
“Stay Ali123, have another drink!”
“What have you been crocheting recently, can we see?”
“Come see what I’ve been knitting!”
“Would you like to meet the hotties?”
“Tell us about Ravenclaw Tower Ali!”
I’ll say this. If this wonderful group of Slytherin’s are anything to go by then I think that the Slytherins are some of the most fun, clever and caring students at Hogwarts, and echoing their Head of House’s words, we Ravenclaw’s had best watch out.
These Slytherins are certainly a force to be reckoned with.

You know what, I think I might just take them up on that drink…
Ali123 Hogwarts Unity Reporter, signing off!
Awww! This was fantastic! Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to visit anytime!
ReplyDeleteY'know, this post made me feel really proud to be Sorted into one of the four best Houses at Hogwarts. :-D
This was an absolutely wonderful feature!
ReplyDeleteThanks to all the Slytherins for sharing!
I love it! I can't wait for parts 2 and 3.
ReplyDelete-sfcorgi
Totally fantastic!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat article, ali!! It more than doubled my knowledge of the dungeons.
ReplyDelete-greenheron
Thanks Ali123! We loved having you visit. There's a chair and a hottie for you anytime you want to come back!
ReplyDelete-cubejelly
Lovely! I must read the non-Slytherin house blogs more often. *mwah*
ReplyDelete- Bidibid