Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Get to Know the Firsties! - Week of 1/17/11

Hello, everyone!!  This term, I'm trying something new and replacing Firstie Friday with a regular blog column entitled "Get to Know the Firsties!".  I've asked them a series of questions and will be posting their responses here each week.

This week, we'll introduce AbbyEBee and Tzippi.  I know, it's hard to believe that they are actually first years with as much as we've gotten to know them over the past few months.

-TriGirlJ, Mama Eagle

First, up is AbbyEBee.

Preferred Ravelry Craft?  Knit

Favorite Harry Potter Character? I love Luna.  She's so zany and yet so wise.

If you weren't a 'Claw, what House would you be in?  Hufflepuff

Favorite non-HP book?  Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series

Best Ravenclaw moment?  The computer program I wrote to put "OR" in between all of the first names to make it easier to search for projects for Charms this month. (Seriously, it's impressive!!!)

Non-Ravelry Hobbies?  I'm a photographer, musician, librarian, bookbinder, and avid reader.  I also love to play board games -- Ticket to Ride is my favorite.

Other things we should know about you?  I'm from the good ol' Midwest.  I am smitten with the mitten and bi-peninsular and proud (from Michigan).

Abby made this lovely wrap for January classes

Next up, we have Tzippi.

Preferred Ravelry Craft?  Knit and Spin

Favorite Harry Potter Character? I did the conflicted Byronic heroes, so it's Sirius Black for me.  Brave, flawed, and a little more than crazy.  Plus, he's played by Gary Oldman!

If you weren't a 'Claw, what House would you be in?  Slytherin

Favorite non-HP book?  What do you mean "book"? (I got this response more than once.)  My current obsessions are E.M. Forster's beautiful "Howards End" and "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Best Ravenclaw moment?  My DBF knows me so well that he got the perfect, brag-to-everyone-about-it birthday present for me, which draws blank stares from most of them to whom I brag about….The Complete Oxford English Dictionary for my computer.

Non-Ravelry Hobbies?  I read a lot; bellydance; am a student of English literature, historical costuming, and education; and play with my cats.

Other things we should know about you?  I am something of an Anglophile, and prefer my literature old, my tea hot and in a pot and my wardrobe tweedy.  I am an equal-opportunity geek.

Check out this great beret she made for Transfiguration!!

2 comments: