Friday, March 17, 2017

Firstie (and Transfer!) Friday


It's Firstie Friday again, and we're showcasing more of our fabulous Transfer Students! 

Graceness (Gracie)

How long have you been playing in the Cup? What houses have you previously been a part of? What led you to Ravenclaw this term? I’ve been playing in the cup for about… uh… well I’m a B2 so however long that is? I’ve been in all the Houses now :) Ravenclaw was my last stop, but I’ve been hanging about in the CR and elsewhere for a long time!

Now that you’ve been here for two months, what is the one thing that you feel is Quintessentially Ravenclaw? Cephalopods. And the fact that there are ahem no dragons here. Not a one. Nope.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? Actually I’m pretty partial to the Minion bride & groom I made for a friend who was getting married. I am not particularly a huge fan of minions but I’m proud of the work I put into them, deviating largely from the original pattern work and even managing to make a garter to match the garter I had also made for her. She loved them so much she ended up taking them on her honeymoon and they took all sorts of photos with them!

What is on your crafting bucket list? Oh, egads, so much. I pine to one day have the spirit, talent, and determination to create Alistair’s Rose Pi Shawl. I also adore pretty much all the patterns from Hilary Smith Callis and Lisa Mutch. Oh! And the Butterfliege pattern is on my soon-to-do list! Right TwistedSts2? OH! And last year when I was OWL assisting, Hreow and I witnessed the creation of the absolutely splendid Great White Shark Blanket completed by Eternally of Gryffindor.

What is currently on your needles? Currently making a baby sweater for a friend who is having a grandson soon. I also have a cowl or two kicking around here dying to be completed. My crafting has been a bit scattery of late. :/


KnittingIma (Lara)

How long have you been playing in the Cup? What houses have you previously been a part of? What led you to Ravenclaw this term? I’ve been playing in the Cup since January 2013. I started in Gryffindor, where I stayed for 4 terms and had great fun. Then I wanted to travel and went to Hufflepuff. My plan was to return to Gryffindor after one term, but I liked it so much in the Den that I stayed there. The badgers are a friendly bunch. Last year the travelling bug bit me again and I decided to let Sir Hat decide where to put me. That led me to Slytherin last term. Well, that only left Ravenclaw to explore and here I am.

Now that you’ve been here for two months, what is the one thing that you feel is Quintessentially Ravenclaw? Watching Ravenclaw as an outsider I always thought AS were Quintessentially Ravenclaw. Now that I’m here… I don’t know. I think I need a few more terms here to get a better feel. ;) I do like that it’s okay to be nerdy or a bit strange. And ambitious in a good sense. Not just to win, but to stretch yourself.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? I think my wackiest project is the lighting rug I made last year for my daughter. But I also still like the skirt guards I made for my cargo carrier bike.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Weaving on a floor loom. And generally trying new techniques.

What is currently on your needles? On my needles are currently 4 blankets, my OWL shawl moonraker and a pair of socks for my Mission. Now that I’m in Ravenclaw I want to get that PhOwl badge!


Aridella (Chris)

How long have you been playing in the Cup? What houses have you previously been a part of? What led you to Ravenclaw this term? My first sorted term was fall 2011 so I think I am an M3 this term. I spent my first 3 terms playing in Gryffindor, spent 1 term in Hufflepuff and then the last umpteen terms in Slytherin. This term I decided it was time for a change and since I’d never tried Ravenclaw here I am. I spent some time here over the last break month and really liked what I saw so that solidified my desire to sort to Ravenclaw this term.

Now that you’ve been here for two months, what is the one thing that you feel is Quintessentially Ravenclaw? So far I have loved everything about Ravenclaw! I love how the class descriptions are easily found in one place and I can see at a glance what options are available or each class. I’m also enjoying the pickle badges and convocation.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? This is a really hard one since I am known to “go big or go home” lol. My currentowl is pretty insane as it is my first double knitting project and it is insane! Finished projects I think my Aeolian Shawl would take the prize. It was my first large shawl, first beaded lace (with over 2200 beads), first time doing nupps…lots of firsts. And at the end I gave it to a friend who lost her husband unexpectedly 2 weeks before I finished it.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Steeking a sweater! I’ve only steeked a mug cozy so far but I have all the materials to make a steeked sweater.

What is currently on your needles? My owl and that is all since I am frantically trying to finish it before it gets into the desperate phase. Hopefully by the time this is published I will be done! Then I need to cast on some washcloths for classes.


Stormrage (Rianne)

How long have you been playing in the Cup? What houses have you previously been a part of? What led you to Ravenclaw this term? This is my fourth active term. I’ve spent three terms in Hufflepuff, plus an SoS term somewhere. Honestly, a great many things drew me to Ravenclaw, but the most appealing one was definitely Mad Science. I love that attitude of striving for greatness with just that little bit of insanity mixed in.

Now that you’ve been here for two months, what is the one thing that you feel is Quintessentially Ravenclaw? The inclusiveness of the group. I’ve never seen a group that goes through so much effort to make new people feel like they’re part of the community: the Big Eagle system, the lineages, the Firstie Fridays. And extending on that, I also love the Pickle Badges because it’s an amazing showcase of “we are Ravenclaws and this is what we do,” a very cool way of getting everyone involved with their Housemates’ projects.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? My awesomest project is definitely my Evenstar dress. I love it so much, not just because it’s gorgeous, but also because it really pushed my knitting skills. When I first started it felt like the whole thing was waaay over my head, but I did it anyway because I really really wanted that dress, and everything worked out. That definitely gave me an amazing confidence boost in my crafting. :) Close to that one on the favourites list is also my MiniStormy doll. I made her for a Quidditch match a while ago and everything just worked out so splendidly - the project, the photo, the story; everything just clicked. She’s cool to make clothes for from leftovers, or just when I feel like some fiddly knits. I still need to make a Ravenclaw uniform for her - I planned it for this term but it wasn’t cooperating. Maybe next term!

What is on your crafting bucket list? One major thing I still really want to learn is to knit stranded colourwork. I love the looks of it so much, but for some reason it’s just never been a priority to learn it; I always seem to busy with something else. One of my long-term crafting dreams is to make an IVKO-inspired jacket for myself, with lots of colours and detail, so at some point I should probably start practicing. :D


What is currently on your needles? My St. Brigid sweater! This has been one of my dream projects for a very long time and it’s so much fun to actually be working on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment