!ATTENTION!
Isisonearth enters the Common Room and surveys the students present, one by one. On her face appears a look of thoughtful concern.
She threads her way through the chairs and the stacks of books to where you sit -- yes, you! -- innocently unpacking your trunk. She says quietly, “Join me in my office, please. There is a matter of urgent concern.”
Puzzled, you follow Isisonearth into her office, where she has amassed a spectacular collection of astronomical devices, dusty books, and portraits of past Heads of Ravenclaw House. In particular, you note the portrait of CMelvin, leaning close to hear what Isis is about to say.
“There has been a discovery,” Isis tells you, without preamble. “You’ll recall the stories of laboratory explosions and other mayhem that occurred in our prior term, of course. It appears that this term, Hogwarts Castle has prepared for our arrival. Our laboratory facilities have been somewhat edged out, you see.
“Oh, don’t worry,” she assures you. “There is still plenty of room for you and your microscope. But when I unlocked the Common Room for our present term, I discovered that the laboratory was reduced somewhat, and in its place now stands a most mysterious doorway. You’ll find it for yourself if you look to the left of the lab entrance, behind the curtains I conjured to conceal its presence… for now.”
Isis continues. “You’ll understand that the faculty found it necessary to keep students at bay, at least at first. You see, this door does not open. It is small, much smaller than the average student, made of solid oak wood, and its iron knob does not budge. A brass knocker in the shape of an eagle’s head hangs from this door, and underneath the eagle’s head are letters in an ancient alphabet that spell, ’CONVOCATION.’
“Other heads of houses have advised me to show caution, and while in principle, I agree,” Isis says, tapping her fingers together, “I also hold the responsibility of carrying on the proud heritage of Ravenclaw Tower. We are not a house that shies away from an intellectual challenge, however daunting, and I will not have a mysterious, locked doorway sit in my Common Room for an entire term without knowing what lies behind it!”
Isis sits down carefully in the grand rococo chair behind her desk. “That is why I have summoned you to my office. You have shown great promise thus far in your studies. Clearly, you possess some measure of talent. I am inviting you to join me in this adventure of discovery.
“I have no doubt that great risk of injury, both of the body and mind, awaits you should you seek to uncover this newest secret of Hogwarts Castle. I will not require any student to participate in this challenge. However, glory, honor, supreme intellectual satisfaction, and at least one badge will be yours if you should solve this puzzle. I know that not every student will find their way to the end of the journey, for I suspect a total score of 450 points over the entire term will be required to reach the final conclusion.
“Calm yourself, dear,” Isis says, conjuring a soft tissue out of mid-air with a wave of her wand. You take the tissue and wipe tears of uncertainty and fear from your eyes. “I know that seems impossible, particularly for those students not yet able to attempt two OWLs. However, you will be amazed when you learn of your own potential, particularly when you take into account possible Quidditch points. Why, just observe your addle-brained fellow student MightyGoodYarn, who somehow broke 500 points last term yet finished no more than nine classes. Still not sure about that girl - you might steer clear, yes? Just to be safe?
“Of course, even those students who do not achieve the final conclusion to this adventure will find rewards along the way. That’s right: multiple milestones have been placed to recognize the achievements of mid-level students. I cannot tell you where they are, of course. You will have to discover for yourself the prizes and dangers that lie before you.
Isis stands and with a flick of her wand summons a book and quill from her shelf. “Yes, well, that’s enough chit-chat. If you feel that you are ready to attempt this glorious endeavor, please follow this link to sign yourself up. Nobody is pressuring you to participate; you are still welcome to spend time with us in the Common Room, and you will suffer no penalty (social or otherwise) if you choose to decline this invitation.
“I do hope you’ll try to help us out, however,” Isis tells you. “That d-mned door is driving me crazy.”
She departs from her office, leaving you to ponder the book before you. Follow this link to sign up. Otherwise, you may leave the office and play along this term as usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment