Friday, September 23, 2016

Firstie (and Transfer!) Friday



Welcome back to Firstie Fridays! This week, we’ll be featuring three more of our First Year students. Aren’t they are a great bunch?

cymraescrochet

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I’ve looked into HPKCHC many times before, but could never get my head around the how, what and why … I was perusing mystery projects back earlier this year and found the Headmistress’ Challenge for last term. It brought me into the cup at the start of last term, which gave me the perfect opportunity to observe and take part as NQFY for a whole term. I looked, lurked and learned, completed 1 class a month for sorting priority, then asked to be sorted into Ravenclaw (I have many other Rav friends who are involved in the Cup - and the closest of them all seem to be Ravenclaw residents.)

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? The wackiest things (and also pretty awesome) I’ve ever made were the teaching aids I made when I and some friends set up a breastfeeding peer support group in my town. I made some individual boobs which we use to teach expressing and latching techniques - I also made some to help out my health visitor in her work: one with an inverted nipple, one with mastitis, one with thrush, etc - I wish I had taken photos at the time, but didn’t :-(  I did however take photos of my The Clue’s in the Poo teaching nappy - which shows new mothers what their breastfed baby’s nappies should look like at 1, 5 and 10 days after the baby is born. I’m also pretty chuffed with GorgeousGeorge a little elephant - when I get around to it, I’ll be launching the pattern and all of the proceeds will go to the bereavement charity 2 Wish Upon a Star  for whom I run the bereavement blankets project Cwtch of Comfort.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? I love the organization of it: I’ve been assigned a buddy, who is lovely (Hi, snippybits); I can get help to organize my projects; I love the fact that I can ask for a candle: overall the Tower has a warm, inviting and supportive atmosphere, where my own particular brand of geeky nerdery is welcomed!

What is on your crafting bucket list? I’d love to be able to knit well enough to make myself some Skew socks - my knitting is … ok, but it’s still very slow.

What is currently on your needles? On my hook, I’m currently making a shawl to send to a swap partner (I mod a worldwide shawl exchange group). I also have a temperature blanket which I have to get back to soon, as I’m doing a row for each day of the year, based on the mean temperature, and I’ve fallen quite a long way behind. I have a slouchy hat on my needles (I always have a hat on my needles as I knit during choir practice and on trips) - I’m just about to decrease for the top, then I’m going to challenge myself to make some plain vanilla socks for myself - I’ve never owned hand-knitted socks: I’ve crocheted some for myself, but the always feel a bit bumpy. On my wheel, I have some lovely purple and white bamboo which I’m slowing spinning into singles.

Thank you to everybody in Ravenclaw for making this newbie so welcome!

Siouxsieshoe (Sue)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I did a crochet course at the local wool shop, I learnt to knit as a kid, but never really went anywhere with it, so I thought I’d give crochet a go, and i was hooked :-) A friend of mine is already in Ravenclaw - Tiggerishjen, and she introduced me to the Cup.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? I haven’t really been crocheting long enough to do anything wacky, although I’m sure I’ll think of something. But currently my most awesome project I think has been the Death Star I made, I was so pleased with myself for managing to make a sphere, it really improved my confidence in my ability.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? I’ve heard lots of stories about Ravenclaw Tower from Jenni and it seems like a lot of fun. And I could do with a bit of encouragement and challenge.

What is on your crafting bucket list? My bucket list at the moment includes a mermaid blanket - my niece is desperate for one, and now she knows Auntie Sue can make stuff, she’s putting her orders in.

What is currently on your needles? Currently on my hooks are a dolly for my niece, and another Cutethulu for a friend - honestly, soon I’ll be able to make one of these without even looking at the pattern! I’m on my 4th one so far.



Laura909 (Laura)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I was looking at projects from some pattern and saw something to do with Harry Potter. I had to find out more, so it only took a few clicks and I was reading through the FAQs and all that good stuff. It sounded awesome, but also overwhelming. I wasn’t really sure I was allowed to post, but I introduced myself in the NQFY lounge and I found out that I had like 10 hours left in May to turn in an assignment for sorting priority, so I tore myself away from all the pretty things and made a simple little coaster. I’m glad I did, because now I’m sorted to Ravenclaw and can start earning points!

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? I don’t know about wackiest or most awesome, but I am quite proud of my Dragon Wing Cowl. It was my first knitting project larger than a dish cloth, and I managed to get it done without too many mishaps. I was super paranoid about counting because if anything was off it would mess up the dropped stitches. Now that its finished, I’d like to actually wear it if the temperature would cooperate.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? So far I haven’t had a chance to explore everything, I would love to read everything, but don’t have the time. I quite like having a Big Eagle to ask questions, and bchapman1017 has already promised to help me figure out this spinning business. Before I forget, I really like the class summaries in Class Tetris. I can never remember which criteria are for which class. I also plan on using some of those cool spreadsheets to keep track of things. Overall I really like how we can share projects and ideas in a supportive and helpful environment, and this applies to the whole of HPKCHC as well.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Well I do have some things on the list but they are more general. First off, I want to knit a sweater. I have knitted a tiny sweater ornament before, but now I want to make one that I can wear. I’ve been looking at patterns but haven’t decided on anything yet. Next is something with colorwork. I have tried a little, but am not very good at it. Although not quite the same, I include double sided knitting here as well. I’ve been trying not too, but I really want to start a beekeeper’s quilt too, or something similar. For a more specific item, I want to eventually knit a Celestarium. They are just amazing. Finally I want to figure out dyeing and spinning, then I can add some more to the list.

What is currently on your needles? I’ve got a pair of Blackrose Socks started for my OWL and other than that I am working on more crochet blanket squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment