Friday, September 9, 2016

Firstie (and Transfer!) Friday



Welcome to Firstie Fridays! (We’ll also be featuring Transfers, don’t worry!) Over the course of the term, we’ll be featuring individual profiles of our First Year and Transfer students, along with showcases of their amazing work. This week, we’ll be featuring three of our First Year students.

Mellian (Mel Meister) 

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I don’t remember what forum I was in where someone mentioned the Cup. I checked out the forum and just followed for a month or two before participating as a NQFY this past semester.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? That’s hard to say when you basically knit socks. LOL! I know I have a pattern I have yet to knit in my library for Penis Poopwaffle socks. Does that count? ROFL!

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? I’d have to say the people. Everyone has been sooooo nice! I’m so looking forward to participating more when my familial obligations (both our adult kids moved back home) have lessened.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Well, I am a very accomplished quilter, so I guess that can’t be on a bucket list anymore. I want to do more yarn dyeing. I love…color. And dyeing will give me a chance to explore color more fully. I went to art school many moons ago and that part of me still wants expression.

What is currently on your needles? (Laughs uproariously!) Too much… Many, many, many pairs of socks….



Scrappinrobyn (Robyn) 

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I found a porthole in the Nerd Girl Yarn group - a lovely picture of a House Cup MKAL - it bought me here. Harry Potter, books & movies, was a special bond with my daughters & I. With them both in college, I have more knitting time. The Cup seemed like a great fit!

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? This summer, my 19-year-old daughter found yarn that reminded her of her kitty. So I made Mini Sid, so she would have a little remembrall of her kitty while at school. When I started I was not sure what do with the remaining “Sid” yarn. She asked if I could make a larger kitty. So Big Sid was born! Now, I have orange & white yarn to make a Big Annie for my 21-year-old daughter as a remembrall of her kitty. Never thought I would be knitting toys for my grown daughters!!

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? I was drawn to Ravenclaw by the spreadsheets. As an accountant, I live by excel. The first year dorm is wonderful, Mama Eagle MJJ, Auntie Eagle LASH, and the Big Eagles are awesome. And I am so impressed by my dorm mates – they are huge motivators.

What is on your crafting bucket list? I want to knit my first top. Thinking about Tejela or Cesaria.

What is currently on your needles? I have The Philosopher’s Stone, Romantique, and Forecast Snow currently on my needles. As my OWL was just approved, I will add Outline tonight!


AFeskimo 

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I found the cup by watching LaLa’s podcast TheKnitGirllls.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? TARDIS fingerless mitts. Because TARDIS.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Lace, cable, and a double wedding ring quilt.

What is currently on your needles? 2 projects, one is a top-down raglan sweater for a co-workers daughter from tincanknits, the Flax Light pattern. The second is a cardigan from jenhanagan that I just can’t seem to get to cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment