Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Interhouse Activies: Sea Beasties!

I have a confession to make. I was the kid who was afraid to swim in a lake for fear that a fish would brush against me or worse, bite me. My parents tried to convince me that the fish were more afraid of me than I was of them but I found it hard to believe.

Last term was my first term in Ravenclaw and my first term participating in the HPKCHC in general. Not long into the term, I noticed that the word, "cephalopod" would pop up sporadically and somewhat frequently in The Tower. I had a hard time imagining myself jumping on the cephalopod bandwagon since the thought alone of all those tentacles gave me the heebie-jeebies. 

At the start of my second term, I finally asked someone why cephalopods are so popular in The Tower. Upperclassmen were more than willing to share this bit of Ravenclaw history and knowing the history has changed how I view cephalopods. I'm not going to divulge into the history in this post since I know it is on Soprano1's research list. (In other words, keep a look-out for a post in the future on this part of Ravencalw history.) But let me tell you this: according to Wikipedia, cephalopods are widely regarded as the most intelligent of the invertebrates. That alone is reason enough for cephalopods to be a mascot of sorts for Ravenclaw.

All this to say, this month you have an opportunity to participate in a piece of Ravenclaw's cephalopod/sea beastie history. I am pretty sure once Soprano1 properly enlightens/reminds all of us of this unique aspect of The Tower, you will be glad you jumped on the bandwagon.

Looking for pattern ideas? Check out this post by Ali123 with a link to pattern ideas.


Want to see what people have been making? Check out this post by Ali123 that includes a YouTube video of all the projects that have been submitted so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment