Thursday, September 6, 2012

Flight of the First Showcase

Hello lovely Claws! This month's debut of "Flight of the First" was a huge success. We had 71 detention submissions on the first day. Go Claws! Word in The Tower is Ali123 has limited edition, 3-part "Flight of the First" badges she'll be bestowing upon participating Claws each month. However if you were unable to participate this month, don't let that keep you from participating in October and November. Something else to keep in mind is even if you were unable to participate in "Flight of the First," the detention professors have some pretty sweet badges they'll be giving to those who complete an OWL or OotP mission for their detention project or turn in a project that requires over 400 yards to complete. On top of all of these badges, there is yet another detention badge that will be given to those who craft items in traditional autumn colors or craft anything autumnal.

One last note before the photos of exceptional "Flight of the First" submissions. I had a really difficult time deciding which 10 to post. Everyone should be extremely proud of their work. Now on to the display! (Which btw, is in no particular order other than I the fact that I grouped similar items together.)

First up, let's admire some spinning work. Tkannon submitted the first yarn from her new wheel with plans to use it for a another class this month. Isn't it purdy? I can't wait to see what she will craft with it.



Now let's take a look at some spinning work put into action. Bklyngrrl67 crafted this little bag using yarn from her first attempt at spinning. On top of that, this project was her first HPKCHC submission ever! What a special little bag.



Let's take a gander at some more crochet work. Stormmoon submitted this adorable monk and lotus flower. I don't know much about crocheting, but it looks to me like quite a bit of assembly was required. I'm guessing that is why it's been a WIP since May 2011. Congrats on finishing!



Now that we are all in a place of zen, take a look at this stunning crocheted doily submitted by AriadneWebb. For those knitters out there, doesn't it make you want to learn how to crochet? I know I find it inspiring.



Next up, let's look at an ever popular craft: socks! DrusillaWormwood knit these intricate socks which she described as "fun and challenging to knit." So lovely. And just in time to wear them during her first term as a Ravenclaw. Wear them with pride, my dear. Wear them with pride.



Speaking of fun challenges, this adorable wee sweater knit by Cyprienne has "fun challenge" written all over it. I'm sure any child wearing this sweater would look simply smashing.



I'm a bit partial to cabling so I just fell in love with this scarf knit by SFcorgi. In her submission post she mentioned,
"Two years ago, I cast on a lovely reversible cabled scarf. I intended to sell it in a fundraising auction, along with a matching hat. No one bid on it… which turned out to be a good thing, because I had not finished the scarf yet and managed to misplace my project bag . . . for two years. A few weeks ago, the Prodigal Project Bag reappeared!" 
I just want to say, I think it's preposterous that no one bid on it. Silly muggles.



I would now like to direct your attention to a lovely shawl created by our Senior Prefect Shawl Master, OneNeedleKnitting. (I'm assuming I have that title correct since I copied it from this post made by 1NK herself.) She created it spur-of-the-moment as a way to keep her hands busy while mourning the loss of her grandfather with her family. May this shawl bring nothing but comfort and fond memories of him.



Remember earlier when I showcased Bklyngrrl67's first HPKCHC submission ever? Well I have another first ever HPKCHC submission to show you. Take a look at this cheery baby blanket knit by FangAili using leftover sock yarn. I'm sure it will be nothing but smiles coming from the lucky baby who receives this colorful blanket.



Last but not least is a blanket submitted by m8land. She's been working on this afghan for 3 years! That's dedication. Congrats on finishing!



Congrats to all Claws who contributed to our total of 71 "Flight of the First" submissions. What a great start to what will be an amazing term.

Soar Ravenclaw!



4 comments:

  1. DrusillaFrancesWormwoodSeptember 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

    I'm honored to be included with all these other fabulous projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely round up of some really great projects! Soar Claws! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all fabulous! I'm liking the monk and lotus flower a lot.

    ReplyDelete