Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Geek of the Week: Yo-Yo Ma, Gunhilda of Gorsemoor

Welcome to "Geek of the Week"; here we honor one Muggle geek and one Wizard geek who embody Ravenclaw spirit...
when they succeed, they soar, and when they fail, they fail spectacularly!


Yo-Yo Ma (b. 1955)
"I learn something not because I have to, but because I really want to. That's the same view I have for performing. I'm performing because I really want to, not because I have to bring bread back home... When you learn something from people, or from a culture, you accept it as a gift, and it is your lifelong commitment to preserve it and build on it."

Born in Paris, Yo-Yo Ma began studying the cello at age four and has since become the most famous cellist known today.  Since earning a bachelors degree from Harvard University (where he also received an honorary doctorate), Ma has won 15 Grammy awards and has toured around the world with his cello, Petunia.  He has educated concertgoers with his study of ethnomusicology through the Silk Road Project and he serves as a UN Messenger of Peace.

Read more about Yo-Yo Ma in Smithsonian Magazine.
Find out more about Yo-Yo Ma on Wikipedia.


Gunhilda of Gorsemoor (1556 - 1639)

"One-eyed, hump-backed witch famous for developing a cure for Dragon Pox.  When she died, all who knew her felt great sorrow..."  ~Chocolate Frog Card

Astute students may recognize Gunhilda of Gorsemoor from her statue on the third floor of Hogwarts Castle (though few know of the passageway to Honeydukes hidden nearby, wink wink, Dissendium, you didn't hear this from me).  Known to some as "the One-Eyed Witch," Gunhilda was a talented Healer and potioneer whose cure for dragon pox has saved lives for centuries.

Find out more about Gunhilda of Gorsemoor on the Harry Potter Wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment