The budstands for all things,
even those things that don't flower,
for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing;
though sometimes it is necessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely
until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing…
— Galway Kinnell
Welcome to Diadem Day 4, dear Ravenclaws. Pretend it’s Valentine’s Day in August, because today we’re going to be guided by our hearts. Place a hand over the center of your chest and picture a beautiful lotus blossoming in your heart. When your fourth chakra is balanced, you feel loving, peaceful, content, compassionate, and centered.
— Galway Kinnell
Welcome to Diadem Day 4, dear Ravenclaws. Pretend it’s Valentine’s Day in August, because today we’re going to be guided by our hearts. Place a hand over the center of your chest and picture a beautiful lotus blossoming in your heart. When your fourth chakra is balanced, you feel loving, peaceful, content, compassionate, and centered.
It’s a great day to show some love—to special adults and children in your life, to a beloved pet, to your community or the world. Reach out with words, touch, and deeds to affirm your caring relationships. And also remember that your relationship with yourself needs some love, too.
Without self-care, how can you open your heart to others? Actively give your body the right diet, exercise, rest, and comfort. You don’t have to wait for your body to be perfect in order for it to earn your love.
Do some physical activity today that gets your heart pumping. When you’ve cooled off, give yourself a hug—it’s a good stretch. For those doing yoga, the poses for the fourth chakra are cobra pose, fish pose, standing yoga mudra, and gentle backbends.
Without self-care, how can you open your heart to others? Actively give your body the right diet, exercise, rest, and comfort. You don’t have to wait for your body to be perfect in order for it to earn your love.
Do some physical activity today that gets your heart pumping. When you’ve cooled off, give yourself a hug—it’s a good stretch. For those doing yoga, the poses for the fourth chakra are cobra pose, fish pose, standing yoga mudra, and gentle backbends.
*******
For today:
- Offer gratitude. In her book Simple Abundance, author Sarah Ban Breathnach suggests using “a tool that will change the quality of you life beyond belief”—a daily gratitude journal. In it, she says, write down five things for which you are grateful this day. It’s a simple practice that, over time, you may find yourself really look forward to doing. This author suggests getting a special journal, the prettiest, most inviting blank book you can find. Do this if you’d like, but don’t let it stop you from this simple practice. Start with whatever notebook you have today. You’ll find yourself going through your day noticing more things to be grateful for.
- Pamper yourself. Do something special for yourself today, and try to have it be pleasing to at least one of your senses. Eat something spicy or wear something silky. Listen to music that thrills you. Run down the beach or linger to watch a sunset. Sample a couple scents at a perfume counter. Take a bath or shower by candlelight. Go to an art museum. Whatever you do, enjoy!
- Practice loving-kindness. In the Buddhist tradition, there’s a practice called metta, a word that translates as “loving-kindness.” You practice sending kindness by saying phrases that offer good wishes for health and happiness, first to yourself, and then to a widening circle of acquaintances. This practice transcends religion and is suitable for anyone to do, regardless of faith tradition.
Starting with yourself, here are some phrases to say (these can be spoken aloud or silently said in your mind):
May I be safe.
May I be happy.
May I be healthy.
May I be filled with loving-kindness.
May I live with ease.
Almost any phrase of goodwill can be used in metta practice; play around with words until you find the ones that suit you. They usually should have something to do with being free from danger, having mental and physical well-being, and living without suffering. They should be general, though, and not something like “May I get a promotion at work.” And you say these, truly cherish yourself. By practicing metta, you cultivate compassion, generosity, and forgiveness.
Metta practice traditional goes from oneself to a mentor, a good friend or family member, a neutral person, a difficult person, and then all beings everywhere. Explore as you’d like, but if you try this out, have your first 10-minute session be focused only on sending metta to yourself. (I use this practice with my Ravenclaw candle and send loving-kindness to the people on our candle list.) - Try alternate-nostril breathing. The heart chakra is related to the element air and is thought to be ruled by the breath. Working with the breath is a way to cleanse the body and quiet the mind. A calming technique that might be great to try if you’re stressed or having trouble sleeping is alternate-nostril breathing. Rather than writing out a long description of the method, here’s a video that demonstrates it simply.
- Here’s a fun assignment from Jennifer Louden’s book: make a Joy List of 100 things that make you happy—warm, peaceful things that create a sense of joy and well-being in your life. Record tangible items, like five dollars found in your pocket, and intangible things, like a smile from a stranger. Include sensuous treats, like toasted marshmallows, and personal favorites, like a Bach cello concerto. Add to the list weekly, and read it when you’re feeling sad.
*******
Today’s prize is two skeins of Knit Picks’ Alpaca Cloud laceweight yarn (100 grams, 880 yards). The color is Midnight, which is “an intense dark blue color with black undertones. Reminiscent of the dark night sky, Midnight intrigues us with the flecks of blues and blue greens that add visual interest to this usually rich color.”
And just a reminder—comment freely; to be eligible for the prize, you were in Ravenclaw house last term.
Have a great day!
With each day, I love this even more. :D
ReplyDelete-therealkarity
A Joy List sounds like a great idea to remind myself of what a good life I have.
ReplyDeleteBobbilicious
It is always good to be more mindful of the good things in life. Sometimes it is too easy to focus on what we don't have and we take for granted the blessings we do have.
ReplyDeleteThe Joy List is such a wonderful exercise. I've done it before, but I need to do it again.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to do something nice for myself by going outside in temperatures of less than 100 degrees. A real novelty around here...
ReplyDeleteThank you for the reminder of gratitude!
ReplyDeleteI'm finally understanding the concept of loving one's body without it being perfect, and it's a perfect way to actually get closer to that desired perfection. But there's no way to accomplish that by hating oneself. So I'll continue being nice to myself and my body, including feeding it some delicious apple cake for dessert tonight :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is just fantastic. I love diadem days!
ReplyDeleteMy expectations of Diadem days have been completely surpassed, these blog posts have been incredible so far and I'm really finding them useful even if I only get to do one of the suggestions each day. I've been working at some of the simple things like being positive about myself and working on my calm breathing, and I have to say it's really helped me to relax after a stressful day. Oh, and I love anything to do with pretty stationary so I'm off to grab my prettiest notebook! Thanks Judith! x
ReplyDeleteI posting 5 things to be thankful for on Facebook. It's awonderful practice. I'm planning on spinning later, which is pleasurable to multiple senses and makes me feel calm. :)
ReplyDelete-DJMeurer
I love the idea of a joy list. Useful for days that get you down.
ReplyDeleteToday I loved my body by going for a walk, and I'm gonna love my belly by making some blackberry vodka ice cream with all the blackberries I picked on the walk. Om nom nom
-VampireQueen
It is slightly sad that today is heart day because I am traveling and away from my loved ones. I will arrive home at 12:30 AM.
ReplyDeleteI did manage to exercise my heart by walking the long way instead of taking the moving walkways in the airport.
(sfcorgi)
Another great day, thank you!
ReplyDelete(Alethea)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI am definitely going to keep a joy list! I'll even put it on my school computer so I'll have it on hand during my commutes (which is when I get the most discouraged/distracted).
ReplyDeleteI have several journals that are too "pretty" for my mundane ramblings. I think I'm going to dig one up and start that joy list.
ReplyDeleteCame to it too late today, but I think tomorrow will include a little pampering time.
Pertela
This really does make me think about how I tend to dwell on the negative and things that stress me out. I have a beautiful journal that I hardly ever write in. I am going to make a point today to start writing again at the end of each day and focus on the good things in my life to remind me how wonderful life is. I am going to take my wonderful dog for a walk down by the lake tonight and sit there to make my journal entry. Thanks for today's lesson.
ReplyDeletestacymarie
I like the idea of a gratitude journal. Even on the worst days there are little spots of brightness.
ReplyDeleteI love what you have done with this! Thank you so much for these reminders and challenges. I did make it to the YMCA this morning to do my exercises with the medicine ball. People are starting to notice that I am getting healthier which makes me feel very good. I am going to start listing 5 things again each day for which I am thankful - starting with being grateful for Diadem Days!
ReplyDeleteToday was a bit frustrating, but these gentle reminders to be grateful for what I have and to make a list of the many things that please me have already helped to relieve some of that negativity. Thanks!
ReplyDelete~PorcupineSnuggles
Fish pose is a yoga staple. It is a great concentration improver and yoga guru Leeann Carey says it also a great stretch for the shoulders and chest. She has a free yoga video on fish pose that I thought your readers might like: http://www.planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/free-yoga-video-fish-pose/
ReplyDelete