
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once
he grows up.
— Pablo Picasso
You have an advantage over those in the muggle world. By being involved with the House Cup, you probably recognize how creative you are, and you have regular opportunities to let your inner artist shine. Let that creativity spill into your "everyday" life.
Explore the energy of the second chakra today, which is associated with emotions, sensuality, fluidity, enjoyment, sex and fertility, and all things creative. I love that the Sanskrit name for the second chakra, Svadhisthana, translates as “one’s own place.” We all need our own place, a “room of one’s own,” as Virginia Woolf called it. Today be mindful to move and stretch, especially if you’ve been sitting for long periods, and drink lots of water. Good yoga poses for 2nd chakra are the bridge pose and reclined cobbler’s pose. Or rest with your legs up the wall, a restorative thing to do after your workday.
— Pablo Picasso
You have an advantage over those in the muggle world. By being involved with the House Cup, you probably recognize how creative you are, and you have regular opportunities to let your inner artist shine. Let that creativity spill into your "everyday" life.
Explore the energy of the second chakra today, which is associated with emotions, sensuality, fluidity, enjoyment, sex and fertility, and all things creative. I love that the Sanskrit name for the second chakra, Svadhisthana, translates as “one’s own place.” We all need our own place, a “room of one’s own,” as Virginia Woolf called it. Today be mindful to move and stretch, especially if you’ve been sitting for long periods, and drink lots of water. Good yoga poses for 2nd chakra are the bridge pose and reclined cobbler’s pose. Or rest with your legs up the wall, a restorative thing to do after your workday.
*******
For today:
- Schedule into your calendar an Artist’s Date—about two hours per week (or month if that’s all you can do) set aside and committed to nurturing your creative consciousness. Have you read Julia Cameron’s book The Artist’s Way? It has become a classic reference on creativity, and you can find much of it online now. http://www.theartistsway.com/pdfs/basictools.pdf. Cameron’s two basic tools are the Morning Pages (a stream-of-consciousness daily journaling exercise) and the Artist’s Date (go to page 18 on the PDF). She calls this “Filling the well, stocking the pond.” You really need to do this.
- It’s back-to-school time. Do you have your new box of crayons? Get some! Whether you get just the classic 8-pack or the big box with the built-in sharpener, nothing smells quite like a new box of crayons. And for coloring fun, here are some printable coloring pages, including Greek muses, mandalas, goddess figures, and more.
http://www.milliande.com/Free-Printable-Adult-Coloring-Pages.html - The designer Isaac Mizrahi and knit designer Michele Rose Orne both suggest this idea: create an inspiration board. Mizrahi uses a corkboard with pushpins; Orne arranges her objects on a tabletop. Over the next several weeks collect photos, scraps of pretty paper or fabric, bits of lace, feathers, leaves, pictures from magazines, found objects, postcards —anything that appeals to your eye. You may want to choose a theme—the current season, a place, a mood or flavor. Or you may just want to explore your own taste and style. Make an inspiration board to help you plan a specific project, or keep one going perpetually, adding and subtracting objects as you wish.
- Go on a color walk. It would be lovely to do this outdoors, but you can also walk around your home or office, in the grocery store, at your local yarn shop, anywhere! Bring along a small notepad and, if possible, a digital camera. Your task is to look only at color. Do not focus on an object’s or person’s form or features. Don't apply critical judgment (a flower is not more pleasing than a toothpaste box) or give any kind of meaning to what you see. Just look at planes of color and the combinations in which you find them. Write down the color combinations you love, describing them as completely as you can, and take a picture to remind yourself later. Return to this exercise when planning knitting or crochet projects, or for sewing, beading, painting, or any other colorful art pursuit.
- Allow yourself to have an artist studio. You may be able to take over a whole room in your house or apartment, but more likely it will be a smaller space. It could be a desk or table, or a comfortable chair with a window or good light nearby. Your studio does not have to be where your stash lives; it’s where you do your creative thinking and crafting.
This may amuse members of your family when you say, “I’m going to work in my studio now,” and someone responds, “Wait; you’re just sitting in the chair by the fireplace with your knitting bag.” You can tell the person that as far as you’re concerned, when you’re in that spot, you’re in your studio. Feel free to post a sign: Artist at Work.
*******
Today’s prize is spinning fiber—3.5 ounces (99 grams) of Summer Garden (purple) and 3.6 ounces (103 grams) of Fresh Greens (greens, but a little bit of blue, too), hand-dyed by my friendly local shepherd at Four Crows Farm. The wool is Corriedale carded roving, pleasant to spin but still a tiny bit rustic.
Have a great day, Ravenclaws!
I love option 5! I've been meaning to clear out a space in the living room to keep some books and notions; today sounds like a good day to do it. :)
ReplyDeleteI love this! I missed Grounding yesterday - because I failed to get enough sleep the last few days since I am visiting my family. Now I am sick, and spent most of the day in bed. Grounding is important...
ReplyDeleteHopefully I will do better at creativity than I did at grounding, and I will definitely try some of these ideas at home.
I am SFCorgi, btw.
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect day for this. I put my company on a plane and am reclaiming my studio room this morning. So far I've done some frivolous crafting on a Barbie dress. Later I'm going to finish back to school shopping and I might have to bring home some new crayons. Later than that I'm going to put a bug in Tiberius' ear to finish my shelf so I can install my cork panels for my inspiration board!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I think everyone needs to introduce more creativity into their lives, and for those of us who craft its just that much more necessary.
ReplyDeleteInkslinger1121
I'm really excited about the coloring pages! I love to color but never seem to make enough time to do it. Thanks for the link!
ReplyDeleteI'm sitting in the garage right now. It's my crafting space for the day. Pots of dye bubbling around me, rain pattering down outside the open door and making everything green, green, green. I love days like this.
ReplyDeleteJayannell, you are so wonderful. I love all of your nurturing and caring ideas! I'll definitely be taking a color walk soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the rest of the week's ideas!
-BrineyDeep
I didn't buy crayons, but I did buy a box of colored pencils. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of setting an Artist's Date. I need to put that on my calendar!
-TriGirlJ
Thank you for the ideas!
ReplyDeleteI spent last night dyeing yarn and plan to touch it up today. :)
-PorcupineSnuggles
What a lovely assignment. I have read the Artist’s way (I came to it by way of writing), but I’m a miserable failure at journaling. I’ve tried for years for a variety of reasons. My muse, my inner artist, despises it. She wants me to draw instead. So I do a doodle-y version of journaling. (In a different creativity exercise, I was told to visualize my muse. She’s a Pacific Octopus, and I feel her wet, slick tentacles on the back of my neck when she needs my attention.)
ReplyDeleteI must go find some crayons. I’m not good at colour – I’m not a visual person at all. I wear blue, white and black, so I don’t have to think about it. I’m pretty good at spotting form and line, so it may be difficult to block those out. (This is why crayons are better than my beloved pencils for this - pencils are all about line and precision.) I’ll have to put in some effort on that score.
Please don't enter me in the draw. I'm just here to do a little personal remodeling.
~Drake
I really like the idea of an Artist Date! I'm loving this, thank you so much!
ReplyDelete-therealkarity
Jaya, this is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteTook a color walk hand-in-hand with The Sweetie this morning. He steered so I could just Look...
Lovies- GG
I have grand plans for a studio space. It involves a lot of IKEA, as well as a giant overstuffed armchair. It shall me fantastic. But for now, I'm going to find me some colored pencils and pretend I can draw :-)
ReplyDeleteWow!! I have to get me that book!! Sounds inspiring...
ReplyDeleteTo bad everything in my office is red... I guess that's what I get for working for a beverage company, but then I wouldn't have it any other way.
It will be nice to focus on a different color than I usually do. I almost always go for the purple. It's like I have something in my DNA that prevents me from looking at another color when I'm yarn shopping.
As for the studio, I think that I first need my own house. I've always dreamt of a huge house where we could have several rooms devoted for different areas of interest. There would be the study, where the kids would make their homework rather than the dining table. Everyone would get their own computer to do their researchs and stuff. There would be a crafts room (mainly for me. I think of it as a mini yarn shop but also with all the stuff you need to make any type of craft. Then the game room where all the gameboards and toys will be stored along with the videogames and stuff.. That way if I have to ground anyone I could just lock the room and problem solved.. jejeje
If I could get a fourth of what I have imagined, I would be the happiest woman in the world....
Oooh, I particularly like the printable coloring book pages, and (while I haven't done any in years) I hope to never grow too old for coloring books.)
ReplyDeleteThat said, I discovered colored pencils and *good* markers at about 8, and largely gave up on Crayons except as fun to re-mix by melting in muffin tins. I prefer a little more control of stroke... Someday I'll break out the pastels I bought a few years ago in an artistic fit and try those.
(Alethea)
I am loving this so much! Today is drab and bleck where I am and I am (well was) feeling blue. But I think instead I shall go and look for my crayons and draw swirls on a sheet of paper. I had almost forgotten how much I love taking crayons to a fresh sheet of paper!
ReplyDeletePS. I have an inspiration board and I love it!
Oh I really want to win this prize! I've just started spinning on a spindle, and I'm trying to save up money to buy a wheel, which means I can't spend much money to buy fiber. Maybe today will be my lucky day!
ReplyDeleteI love the color walk idea! And "filling the well". I really need to get back to journaling.
ReplyDeletePertela
Crayons are my favorite!
ReplyDeleteI have this coloring book that is just tilings of the plane (umm, or repeated geometric shapes) and you get to decide whether to make a representational picture, or a quilt, or what, by whether you color adjacent shapes the same color and what colors... it's the best. Especially with the 120 crayon box I bought a few years ago. (Crayons are CHEAP when you're a grown up!)
Andryl
Love the coloring pages!
ReplyDelete