Sunday, August 22, 2010

Diadem Day 1: Grounding

The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you.
— Robert Louis Stevenson

*******
Today your task is to check in with yourself and assess your basic needs. You probably know what they are. But do you get so caught up in daily life that you forget? Think how you’d answer these questions:
  • Do you get enough sleep?
  • Do you drink enough water?
  • Do you eat some fresh and unprocessed foods every day?
  • Do you get some exercise regularly that you enjoy?
  • Do you feel safe?
  • Do you allow time in your week to be in touch with nature and sunlight?
  • Do you make time for and nurture your caring relationships & friendships?
  • Is there abundant beauty in your life?
  • Do you do things that give you a sense of joy, fulfillment, or purpose?
  • Do you get daily or weekly spiritual nourishment or solitude?

Jennifer Louden* suggests asking yourself the following question regularly, especially when you feel tense, overloaded, or crummy:

“What do I need to help me better care for myself right now?”

Write this on a Post-it or slip of paper, and put it on your bathroom mirror, refrigerator, computer screen, or steering wheel. All day, check in with yourself and think about how you’d answer the question at this moment.

*The Women’s Comfort Book by Jennifer Louden (Harper, 1992) inspired many of this week’s ideas.

*******
For today:
  1. Eat something natural and raw, like a ripe peach or a luscious strawberry. Eat as slowly as you can, concentrating on the taste, texture, and color. Sense this food’s life energy. Be grateful.

  2. Sit or lie someplace quiet (even if you have to shut yourself in the bathroom). Close your eyes. Inhale and hold your breath for a moment. Exhale completely. When you inhale again, imagine you are breathing in pure relaxation. Exhale and imagine you are breathing out all the tension of your day or week. Do this a few more times.

  3. Try to spend some time today in an outdoor place you enjoy. Go to a public garden, walking trail, or body of water. If it’s your own garden, don’t think about the weeding you need to do. If you don’t live near green places, at least stand under a tree and look into the leaf canopy.

  4. Stand barefoot (you can do this indoors or out). With your feet shoulder length apart, bend your knees slightly and sink your attention to your solar plexus (the area around and above your naval). This is a basic t'ai chi stance. Feel the four corners of your feet connecting with the ground. Imagine roots growing down into the earth. Draw energy through your legs, up and through your body, all the way to the top of your head. This energy makes a shining crown. Picture it; wear it all day.

  5. Do some stretching. Lying on your back, hug your knees into your chest and stay there for at least five breaths. Or from a standing position, bend forward and hang loose like a rag doll for a minute or two. If you like yoga, do child’s pose and forward folds.

*******

Today’s prize is the book Lavish Lace: Knitting with Hand-Painted Yarns by Carol Rasmussen Noble and Cheryl Potter. The yarns used in the projects aren’t necessarily laceweight, and the projects start with simple patterns and progress to more complex ones.

Have a great day, Ravenclaws!

18 comments:

  1. Boy do I ever need to do this. I may have to hide in the basement though. One more day of house guests and I'm free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (PorcupineSnuggles on Rav)

    I like this one a lot!! Thank you for the reminder--deep breaths, natural spaces, stretching...they all do so much to help me feel good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a weekend full of crazy children, these will be great for getting back to myself!
    Bobbilicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking forward tot his for weeks. Most of these thoughts hit home. But the one in particular that I am going to concentrate on today, is eating raw as much as possible. I am missing raw ingredients in my diet and I can really tell in the way I feel. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... apparently I'm not allowed to comment as me. But I still love the idea of this week :-) Thank you for organizing it!
    akasha111182

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful idea! I will try to follow along...assuming I have time to. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very excited to see the progres of the week, and thank you for doing it.

    (Alethea)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really need to work on relaxing, so this is great. Thanks for doing this!!

    (TriGirlJ)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I have my sticky on the bathroom mirror right now.

    Boppingbeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spent time outdoors with a lovely apple tree friend - I did rubbings of her bark and just felt her strength and quiet.

    -GG

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely thoughts! I did eat something raw and unprocessed today, I had a lovely tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella salad with some french bread, and it was lovely. Of course I am following that with fried chicken and fried veggies for dinner, so I think I am cancelling out my lovely healthy lunch LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (kountingsheep on rav)

    I sat outside with my friends after church to eat lunch. We were at a restaurant that only had enough room for our group out on the patio. Unfortunately, it was hot (106 or something) and humid today, so not as enjoyable as it could have been. In a couple months, it'll be nice to do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trying to post again...

    I love the plan to take a moment for myself. I went for a lovely walk outside, took some deep breaths... It's definitely what I needed.

    Hopesclan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like I really need to drink some water today. And I need to do some stretching.

    I have been feeling stressed due to many things in my life. I knew I needed to get some me time in and this has got me thinking about just that.

    Thanks!

    I'm rambunctiousky on rav.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drake here...I looked at the ten questions. Three out of ten isn't a fantastic score, is it?

    I definitely need to write these out and be more mindful of them.

    (I hope this doesn't post twice. I tend to struggle with blog comments.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that these take so little time! I didn't realize taking care of myself can be so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I took a nap today - that felt pretty profound.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm reading this after a long and trying day at work today. I am now home and able to relax. Luckily I worked out on the deck today so I did get some sunlight and a beautiful view of the lake for most of the day.

    stacymarie on Rav

    ReplyDelete