Friday, October 21, 2016

Firstie (and Transfer!) Friday





Welcome back to Firstie Fridays! This week, we’ll be featuring two more of our awesome transfer students!

Frithuswith

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? What house(s) have you previously been in? What convinced you to come to Ravenclaw this term? I joined the Cup when Nerd Wars came to an end in its original incarnation. It turns out I am a total addict when it comes to competitive crafting, and I love the way that the different prompts take my crafting in directions I wasn’t expecting. I was a member of Hufflepuff for four terms (with one term off as SoS because pregnancy really kills my crafting mojo dead). I decided to come to Ravenclaw this term partly because the birth of child number 2 (AKA Microwith, or just Micro) felt like a kind of a new beginning (parallelling the birth of number 1, Miniwith, which was when I originally joined the House Cup). I have some strong Ravenclaw-type tendencies so I wanted to see whether the house felt like home. So far, it does!

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? Well, I knit a Niebling in my third trimester when I was pregnant with Mini. And I knit G’kalpaca. But at the moment I’m pretty proud of my 3 from 4, which I wove for a Complex Weavers sample exchange this year. I designed and wove it using a structure called polychrome summer and winter, in homage to Josef Albers and his book Interaction of Colour, replicating an optical illusion that those following the book are meant to produce using coloured paper. The idea is that the background interacts with the central boxes and makes it look like the central yellows are the same colour, when in fact they’re different. I figured, why not try it in yarn?

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? At the moment I am delighted by the fact that this Quidditch match has turned into a pickle-off with Slytherin. It’s also nice to be somewhere I can reference Borges and other people get it!

What is on your crafting bucket list? I have a bajillion and one weaving projects in my head. So I would like to get through at least a few of them! I’m trying to target the UK Guilds’ Certificate of Achievement if I can control my desperate urge to make everything I weave overcomplicated structurally.

What is currently on your needles? My sock OWL! Plus Quidditch, and I’m hoping to get a project on my new floor loom soon, because new floor loom! So much excitement!



Yarnfreak75 (Tia)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? About a year before I joined the Cup, I found it but didn’t understand any of it so I walked away. Then, someone in a different group congratulated a Cupper for winning the House Cup. That made me look into it again by jumping into the chat room and asking live what it was about. That was end of Jan/beginning of Feb 2011.

What house(s) have you previously been in? All

What convinced you to come to Ravenclaw this term? I had played for the other 3 and decided it was time for a clean sweep.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? Wacky…stuff for the girls…Sophia the First necklace made without a pattern, tiny MonsterHigh dresses, baby doll underwear, 2 baby doll sock monkey hats…lol. Awesome…um…a blanket I made for my FIL & MIL while they were going through cancer treatment, a mitered squared blanket for my mom and my Evenstar shawlare what come to mind.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? Organization. It makes my OCD happy, lol.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Everything!


What is currently on your needles? Crochet thread angels and 24 inch baby blankets for a bazaar in early Nov, a baby sweater for a friend (Hundreds), a shawl for me that’s hibernating until I have more time, a pair of monster pants that needs 1.5 legs plus a face which needs to be picked back up so it can be finished for Christmas and a few other things. Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment