Saturday, September 19, 2015

Advanced Studies Saturday: The End and The Beginning

On a night of rain, Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water… The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King.


A small noise startled Frodo, and he turned to find Bilbo standing beside him.  Elrond glided into place beside Bilbo and the three stood together, looking silently into the West.  The regrets, pains, burdens, and fears of Middle Earth fell away under the caress of the welcoming songs sung by those who came to the West before.


The white ship pulled up to a silvery-grey dock of espaliered mallaron trees.  The gently rolling hills beyond the dock reminded Frodo of the Shire.  Beyond the hills, a forest filled the horizon.  


Legolas greeted the new arrivals on the dock.  He led Frodo and Bilbo to a hobbit hole freshly dug in the rolling hills, beside the forest.  Two ancient mallaron trees marked the entrance to the forest.  Long ago, the people of the West espaliered the two trees to form an archway.  Now the branches wrapped around each other without additional encouragement.  Elven runes glowed along both trunks, welcoming all into the forest beyond.


Legolas gestured at the archway.  “The Aglaraldannon is the entrance to Taurgaernumen, the home of all the elves of the West. You may make your home anywhere in the West, but we thought you might like to spend at least your first night in familiar place, so we built this hobbit hole for you.”

Photo courtesy of Carin Lynch
Bilbo and Frodo were glad of the familiar surroundings.  This hobbit hole was not as large as their home in Bag End, but they had no need of extravagance.  After all, they came to the West for rest.  The two quickly fell into a routine of eating, reading, writing, and visiting with their friends.


One evening, some time after the ship arrived in the West, Bilbo and Frodo were companionably reading as was their wont.  Frodo slowly became aware of singing on the path coming towards their home from the wood.  As the singer came closer, the words became more distinct.


The Road goes ever on and on
 Out from the door where it began.
To that Road the travellers are drawn
 And soon begin to make a plan.
Let them a journey new begin,
 Who thought themselves from life withdrawn,
For when they pause and look within,
 They'll find hope for Barad Thoron.


Bilbo jumped from his seat and greeted Elrond at the door.  “I have already begun to prepare for a journey, though I knew not where,” Bilbo said.  “On September 22, Frodo and I must celebrate our first birthdays in the West. I'll be ready to depart on September 23."


Frodo looked a little guilty.  “I too have felt the call of the road outside our door.  I have already begun, in a small way.  While Bilbo napped in the afternoons, I explored the library of the Taurgaernumen. With the help of the Lead Librarian, the wise OWL Hreow, I found maps and began to plot a journey.  I have even begun traveling in a small way, exploring the hidden byways of the West.  But who or what is Barad Thoron? I have not seen or heard of it during my explorations.”


Elrond smiled enigmatically.  “I have learned only small pieces of the answer myself. I was on the road with 24 others, and they seem to know the way well. Some few sprinted ahead -- 5 have already reached the halfway point and continued on from there, leaving notes or sending back messengers with encouragement to the rest of the party. Having newly arrived in this country, I am in no rush and wanted to enjoy my travels, so I brought up the rear. I thought perhaps you two would like a new adventure.  I paused in my work, leaving all in a camp along the path, so I could return quickly and retrieve you.  It sounds as though you'd like to come along?”


To Be Continued...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'swonderful! TWO more days 'til departure!

    (I deleted my first comment since I had failed to count correctly!)

    ReplyDelete