Time for another Firstie Friday, Ravenclaws!
KansasJayHawk
(Elle)
How did
you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I LOVE
LOVE LOVE Harry Potter. I don’t remember how I found the Cup but I do remember
seeing a thread in Sunshine Yarnies and decided to take a look around.
What,
in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? My
wackiest was a “Willy Warmer”. Our family does a crazy White Elephant game at
Christmas. Since my mother-in-law runs the rules, the rules often change hourly
and mean nothing. So my sister-in-law and I decided to go “no holds barred”
from now on. She saw one on Amazon but it was cheap looking. I made this one
look like a sweater and everything. Did you know there are a ton of patterns on
Ravelry for Willy Warmers??
What
characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How do these things
impact and change or encourage you? I love making new
friends. I chose the Tower because I am a retired scientist in RL and noticed
that it was by far the most appealing to my meticulous nature (I stole that
from a Shawshank Redemption quote). I am encouraged to knit all year, not just
in the fall and winter. It feels so good getting so much positive feedback from
people. It’s addictive, actually.
What is
on your crafting bucket list? A sweater. I have no idea how
to make shoulders and arms/armholes.
What is
currently on your needles? My OWL - the popular Celestarium star chart
shawl.
Tanyakins
How did you find the Cup and what motivated
you to give the Cup a try? As you
may or may not be aware, I am a super duper newbie when it comes to fibercraft,
having only started crochet back in November 2016 and knitting in January 2017.
I had joined Ravelry sometime last year since my good crocheting friend Kayla
was on here, but I never really dabbled with it until I started learning the
craft. It was at that point where she told me about HP RP groups, specifically
ones that kept you motivated to keep rolling out projects over time. I was very
excited! I love the world of Harry Potter, and I always value online
communities that tie in with my interests. It was a no-brainer, so I dove right
in as a NQFY in the Winter term.
What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome
project and why?
Well, I don’t have TOO many projects since I am a beginner… so every project for me is wacky, because in my head, I’m like, “Is it too soon for me to be trying something like this?!” So maybe the project that I felt most out of my depth with, but actually turned out okay, was my first bunny amigurumi. My friend Kayla is big on amigurumi, so she was pleasantly surprised to see I was trying an amigurumi so early into my crochet journey. Needless to say, it was an adventure. Sewing in those facial features was a bit of a nightmare, LOL. But I like the way the bunny turned out. :) He’s now sitting on my bookshelf with other plushies.
Well, I don’t have TOO many projects since I am a beginner… so every project for me is wacky, because in my head, I’m like, “Is it too soon for me to be trying something like this?!” So maybe the project that I felt most out of my depth with, but actually turned out okay, was my first bunny amigurumi. My friend Kayla is big on amigurumi, so she was pleasantly surprised to see I was trying an amigurumi so early into my crochet journey. Needless to say, it was an adventure. Sewing in those facial features was a bit of a nightmare, LOL. But I like the way the bunny turned out. :) He’s now sitting on my bookshelf with other plushies.
What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How
do these things impact and change or encourage you? I felt a little lost as a NQFY because I
didn’t really have a ‘home’ outside of the NQFY/SOS Lounge, and wandering
around all the different Houses made me feel a little uneasy. I was very happy
to see I was placed in Ravenclaw, as I really enjoyed the organization and
detail that we place in our submissions, having used the Class Tetris prompts
to arrange my classes as a NQFY. However, the thing I love the most is the
outpouring of support between everyone in the Tower. I place a lot of value in
encouragement and comfort between people, and it means a lot to me personally
since I still get very flustered with new garments and techniques when
crafting. I am starting my First Socks Ever for my BROOM this month, and I
wouldn’t have been so brave as to propose it if it weren’t for the wonderful
backing I have from my Big Eagle, my Mama and Auntie Eagles, and all of my
fellow firsties in our dorm.
What is on your crafting bucket list? There’s not too much in my library and
queue right now, but in general, my main target in crafting right now is to
learn cables and lace. The sheer quantity of beautiful projects that HPKCHC
players churn out is inspiring, and I hope to match the quality of their work
one day. :)
What is currently on your needles? Not too much right now; I am mainly working
on a crochet baby blanket for a friend, which I am about 18-20
squares out of 49 into so far. I also have my LYS’ KAL Etched Rio Wrap in the works, although it’s going to
be a long time before that one is complete. Other than that, I just need to
finish off my Astra Gloves, which will undoubtedly be this
month’s Detention.



No comments:
Post a Comment