Friday, May 12, 2017

Firstie Friday!


It's the First Firstie Friday Firstie profile day! 

Twillow (Kri)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I joined the Heroes of Yarnia scarf MKAL and noticed a few people talking about using the project as an OWL. I wasn’t a huge Harry Potter fan, so I followed because I like owls, lol. I was really enchanted by the community and friendly competition of the Cup, how structured it was. Like school, but all of the subjects are electives! It’s very satisfying to test myself as I always have, but with the added dimension of house rules, and to receive fake internet points and accolades for them from people who really understand the challenges and joys of knitting!

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? My Thrifty Blanket. It’s become a bit of a ridiculous long-term adventure in failing at being thrifty. I bought two bags of crewel wool from Goodwill a while back and was determined to save it. I have a bad habit of trying to save lost-cause yarn. So, I discovered that if I unwound each small skein of very rough and sticky wool, it could be separated into 3 strands each. Each skein could make 3 crochet squares 5” wide. I have an ongoing goal to decorate my house in brown, red, and cream, so I plan to only use the brown skeins… which means I’ll end up with 45 squares, plus a few fun squares I will make with leftovers. Not nearly enough for the blanket I want, so on top of spending a ridiculous amount of time on this “thrifty” blanket, I’ll have to buy supplemental yarn to fill it out. I want to stitch them all together with cream yarn. It’s insane, but I’m very pleased with how it’s coming together so far. 

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? The Tower is very organized and detail-oriented. It’s easy to put my goals into action, and someone is constantly posting data about how we’re progressing. It’s very motivating. I love the Big/Little Eagle system. I’ve felt very embraced by the community without being pressured to perform.

What is on your crafting bucket list? I’m working my way up to making these Spring Roses socks. I have a love for the beauty and the beast fairy tale, and these socks just scream that to me. I also love colorwork and socks… but combining the two, as well as making socks that go higher than a few inches above my heel, are major challenges for me. 

What is currently on your needles? The Fightin’ Words mitts for the awesome Super Hero themed DADA prompt! And also the first egg for my CoMC OWL, a full-gradient octopus.



Aniek1 (Aniek)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? Neetsey told me about the cup in another Ravelry group and it sounded like so much fun. I had a look in the HPKCHC group but it seemed like it would be too much to take in. I couldn’t take my mind off of it so I decided to give it a try nonetheless. That was almost at the end of the month and with some help of some sweet members I could fill 7 classes with my projects started that month! I just love the game so much, I decided to sign up for sorting right away.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? The mandala madness (in progress). I couldn’t resist so I just started it and I love it!

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? The motivation to finish projects. I had so many wips with only the ends to weave in etc. I finished them all to hand them in as a class.

What is on your crafting bucket list? It is endless :-) there are so many pretty things.

What is currently on your needles? A graphgan, the mandala madness and my OWL (freya shawl)



No comments:

Post a Comment