Friday, January 20, 2017

Firstie (and Transfer!) Friday


It's Firstie Friday again! Time to meet two more incredible Firsties! 

Kneedleart (Linda)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I saw a discussion on Heidi Nick’s sock design group, and joined along with Heidi (another Ravenclaw Firstie) and some other members of the group. I was delighted to learn that Heather (winemakerssister) was a member of the HPKCHC and a Ravenclaw, as I’ve long admired her spinning in another group in which we participate. I am over-the-moon happy to now have Heather as my Big Eagle!

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? I normally spin fairly traditional yarns, although occasionally enjoy the challenge of an unconventional yarn. Last year, I participated in a “crazy yarn” challenge and spun a super-coiled, beaded, pig-tailed yarn (as described by Sarah Anderson in A Spinner’s Book of Yarn Design). It was, by far, the wackiest, most technically demanding yarn I have ever spun. While spinning this yarn, I thought I might turn it into a Medusa wig for Halloween. However, by the time I finished, I knew that I wanted to use it, along with some tail-spun yarn that I previously crafted, for a great big dream catcher. I love this project as it liberated my creative juices and allowed me to respond to and draw inspiration from my materials, rather than executing pre-determined plans for the fiber. As a result of this experience, I have chosen to incorporate an annual crazy yarn challenge into my personal spinning goals.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? Oooh, I love the tradition of listing our Happy Things. Here are some of mine:
·         My fellow Ravenclaws, with their thoughtful and challenging input, their creative talents, and their kind/considerate dispositions. I am inspired and motivated by the members of my House to aim high and put forth my best effort.
·         CASPN, because we all benefit from a few warm fuzzies every once in a while!
·         As a NQFY, I participated in the Fall Term edition of Convocation and was totally hooked. It was very exciting to be earburned to each installment, and that encouraged me to keep submitting classes to earn the next earburn. The creative writing was first rate and the lessons thought-provoking. Convocation kept me humble last term; I look forward to the start of Convocation W17.
·         The Ravenclaw geneaology! I love that we track our lineage; it serves as a treasured reminder of who we are, where we’ve been, and the artistic influences that we’ve handed down through the branches of our family tree. Seeing my name on our lineage made me feel special, as though I belonged to something larger than each of us, individually - something precious and enduring.
·         The Ravenclaw Aerie grabbed my attention as a NQFY. Some of the features that I particularly enjoyed were the Showcase Wednesdays and Geek of the Week. I also enjoy keeping abreast of happenings in the Common Room (when the post count gets too high for me to read everything myself) and I am really looking forward to this term’s coverage of Ravenclaw Lore! This will be a huge help to Firsties and Transfer students who may not yet know the “inside” stores and specialized lingo. 
Well, I could go on all day, but I’m sure you have other things to report in this issue, so I’ll end by saying that I LOVE IT ALL!
What is on your crafting bucket list? Sometimes, it is the little things that elude me - such as top-down gloves. I’ve been wanting to try a pair of these for a while, but they keep getting put on the back burner. The Evil Genius Glove Recipe particularly intrigues me. These will be a priority for my 2017 knitting; I’m thinking that their small size will keep me from becoming over-heated by my knitting this summer. Now that I’ve made this declaration, feel free to hold me accountable!

What is currently on your needles? Tonight, I’m working on a pair of leg warmers/boot toppers for a niece’s daughter. These will be my class assignment for our Herbology Blitz on January 22nd. I am also working on a scarf for my Charms class assignment and a hat for another submission. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of yarn so that I may submit my Charms OWL proposal to knit a wedding wrap for a friend’s daughter.



Neetsey

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I'm a stalker, I admit it! I run another group and whenever someone new joins I go take a peek at their projects and groups they are in....then I saw The HP group!  

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? The reason I joined Ravelry actually....I was part of the original MCL Sophie's Universe. I completed it with the optional Lydia and Jack square to make it rectangular, it is a Queen size afghan, and I am so proud of it.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? I love the support and encouragement and making feel like I belong.

How do these things impact and change or encourage you? I am feeling more adventurous, I am even attempting knitted socks for my first mission, never thought I would do that.

What is on your crafting bucket list? I really want to crochet the Last Supper, I have the thread, I just need to do it, maybe for an owl.....

What is currently on your needles? A test knit shawl, and a Boo shawl.......not counting all my WIPs....lol



No comments:

Post a Comment