Friday, January 13, 2017

Firstie (and Transfer!) Friday


Welcome to Firstie Friday at the Aerie! Today we're featuring two of our awesome Firsties!


Helpfulkitten (Kat)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I was just browsing all the nooks and crannies of Ravelry. Someone recently referred to it as ‘Ravelry Spelunking’ which I’m shamelessly stealing. I love HP and, most of all, I love the idea of being rewarded for my knitting with internet points.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? I wouldn’t call myself a wacky knitter, sadly. I’m primarily a product-focused garment knitter so I try to make projects which I love to wear (in public). My very favourite project so far is still my Foxglove - I did some experimental fitting adjustments and they worked perfectly. It’s a 4-ply cardigan with a fairisle yoke and steeked buttonband - which is kept tidy with kitty ribbon.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? I love the keenness to learn/understand things - especially the why. If I ask a question, not only do I get an enthusiastic response, but it’s the kind of precise and scientific or tested info that I really appreciate. There are so many knowledgeable crafters sharing their experience. I think the collective ambition and enthusiasm is also brilliant (to quote Arthur Shappey) and contagious! It’s solidifying my own ambitions and also helping me branch out into new crafts and techniques.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Everything I haven’t made yet. No, really. More specifically, I’m just learning to spin and dye, so I’ll be going completely fibre mad over the next few months. Knitting wise, I have a massive queue and I plan to do everything in it. I’m hoping to do a big lace Permafrost shawl/blanket and an allover-fairisle tunic or large boxy jumper. Ooh, and I’ve stashed some yarn for an Iona blanket in a smorgasbord of purples.

What is currently on your needles? My OWL, the first half of which is Esme, a loose fitting, classic, mohair cardigan. I’ve also got a whole bunch of WIPs contending to be my detention project for the month. It’s probably going to be the second of my Hulanicki socks, as the first has almost learned to walk (or hop) on its own.




amylin (Ann)

How did you find the Cup and what motivated you to give the Cup a try? I found the Cup through the Knit Girllls and their Stash Dash.

What, in your own estimation, is your wackiest/most awesome project and why? I think it might have to be my New Moon vest. I didn’t really have a pattern so I used the photos from the movie. It was a lot of colour work, a lot of threads to weave in and a lot of maths in that project, but it turned out good, and I still have it even though I don’t wear it that much. It still looks good, so the yarn can handle a lot of wear. It’s Wollmeise sock btw.

What characteristics do you love most about the Tower so far? How do these things impact and change or encourage you? So far I love the chatting. It’s really chatty, and I can’t keep up at all. But it’s nice to have a lot of comments and chatting going on even though I just jump into the chatter. Comments and encouragement from the others are always motivation to finish and show what you’re working with.

What is on your crafting bucket list? Oh, that’s a lot. First of all I have to finish a baby blanket for a colleague, then I have to finish up a lot of projects I have started. But I want to make my own Wu Tang Clan-sweater. That’s my OWL, I hope. And I would like to make Ingrid Pullover by Isabell Kraemer as well.

What is currently on your needles? That’s a long list. Currently I’m knitting a baby blanket, two pairs of socks, a sweater for my son, crocheting a blanket, knitting the Vivid blanket, a brain hat and two pairs of Norwegian Selbu mittens.




No comments:

Post a Comment