To one side, I look out onto this plain.
It doesn't seem all that impressive, until I turn to the other side...
There are caves carved into this hillside! And not just any caves. These caves are filled with ancient and beautiful carvings.
There are statues of Buddha and Nandi.
One of the "caves" is actually a huge temple carved out of the rock. The temple is dedicated to Shiva, the destroyer or transformer. It wasn't built here by bringing in stones; instead it was carved from the hill from the top down. Impressive, especially since I don't think they used magic!
Some of the carvings in the caves are really surprising. This one is a Buddhist temple, but the ribbed vaulted ceiling reminded me of a European cathedral.
And this pillar, in a Jain temple cave, looks truly Baroque.
This is a really unique site, full of beautiful surprises! If you think you know where I am, leave a comment below!
You seem to have entered the Jungle Book and have found the monkey temple...
ReplyDeleteI promise it's a real place!
DeleteJain, Buddhist, and Hindu -- you must be in India! I had to turn to Google for more information about rock-cut temples in India, I admit, and now I think I know where you are. How lovely and amazing!
ReplyDelete( I think you are in the Ellora Caves, llim! )
ReplyDeleteDingdingding! We have a winner! And of course it is not surprising that you rocked the Google search, Cathy. You are queen of the GIS after all!
Delete