Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Where am I? Omeletsmom

This week, we are visiting a castle that was completed in 1271.



It is built on an island surrounded by several artificial lakes.


The construction pioneered concentric castle defenses in it's home region, with inner and middle wards protected by high walls and towers.


The grounds feature several examples of medieval defensive weapons such as this trebuchet.


The inner ward houses a massive Great Hall


anchored by a very impressive fireplace.


(5'4" Yasmatazz included for scale).

All in all, it is one of the largest and most complete castles in its region.

Where am I?

If you know where Omeletsmom is, let us know in the comments!




3 comments:

  1. Having been 14th c Welsh for a zillion years in the SCA finally pays off! ;) That's got to be Caerphilly Castle in Wales! I am so jealous, you guys must be having a wonderful time. Just watch out for the spacetime rift if you visit Cardiff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct! We are not there now; that was from our trip 8 years ago. I WISH we were! It is brutally hot and humid here.

    Isilsartari also PMed me with the correct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is unofficial as I'm SoS anyway ;) That must have been a wonderful trip! I really want to go one day. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete