Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Geek of the Week: Bill Peet

Here we honor Muggle geeks who embody Ravenclaw spirit...when they succeed, they soar, and when they fail, they fail spectacularly!

Bill Peet (1915 - 2002)
 
"I always kept a small tablet in my desk and at every chance I would sneak a drawing into it. Often I'd be surprised to find the teacher standing over me and my tablet would be taken away."

Happy birthday to the late Bill Peet, an artist who began drawing as a child and never looked back.  Leave it to a creative geek to take what was around him in his youth -- farm life, a circus parade, trips to the zoo -- and turn it into full-blown pictorial narratives with his imagination.

artist self-portrait

Many know him from his award-winning work as a children's lit author and illustrator who expected the young readers to gain an extensive vocabulary through context (his books began as bedtime stories for his children).  Peet also produced scads of story sketch and character development animation while working at Walt Disney Studios for thirty years.

Find out more about Bill Peet on Wikipedia.

1 comment: