Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Geek of the Week: Neil Gaiman, Garrick Ollivander

Welcome to "Geek of the Week"; here we honor one Muggle geek and one Wizard geek who embody Ravenclaw spirit...
when they succeed, they soar, and when they fail, they fail spectacularly!


Neil Gaiman (b. 1960)
"I was the kind of kid whose parents would drop him off at the local town library on their way to work, and I'd go and work my way through the children's area."

As a child, Neil Gaiman reveled in reading Batman comics and parenthetical statements in The Chronicles of Narnia series; is it any wonder the man grew up to author some amazing graphic novels and geektastic novels, teleplays, and screenplays of his own?  He likens the writing process on Sandman to bushwhacking in the jungle, and he fills his writings with literary allusions (I think of them as delicious nougaty centers -- yum).

Some of the most imaginative films in the past decade have been based on Gaiman's writings.  MirrorMask!  Stardust! Coraline! and now they're going to make a film version of The Graveyard Book -- awesomely geeky.

Neil blogs here and tweets here.
Find out more about Neil Gaiman on Wikipedia.

Garrick Ollivander (b. 1921)
"I remember every wand I've ever sold."

Garrick Ollivander is, of course, the full name of Mr. Ollivander, the brilliant man from whom all of us purchased our wands.  Fun fact: his time at Hogwarts was spent as a Ravenclaw!  He excelled in wandmaking, naturally, and joined the family business straight out of school.  His method of matching specific wand materials with their potential owner -- say it with me, "the wand chooses the wizard" -- revolutionized wandmaking as a field.  He famously created the wands of both He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and the hero Harry Potter with feathers from the same phoenix.

Find out more about Garrick Ollivander on the Harry Potter Wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment